What happens to my old windows?
WGS glazing pride themselves on providing a clean and tidy finish. All your old windows and frames will be removed and taken away, where if possible, they are sent to be recycled.
Planning permission and Building regulations?
Planning permission for replacement windows and doors
When changing your windows and doors, you do not usually need to apply for planning permission if:
- You are replacing new windows and doors with those of a similar appearance to those used in the construction of the house.
- You are installing secondary glazing.
- You are doing repairs, maintenance or minor improvements such as repainting.
Occasionally you may need to apply for planning permission for some of these works if your council has made an article 4 direction withdrawing permitted development rights.
However, if you live in a listed building or designated area there are additional steps to take.
For listed buildings, you will need listed building consent for any significant internal or external works.
If your house is in a designated area (conservation area, national area, area of outstanding natural beauty) there may be additional restrictions in place. We recommend checking with your local planning authority before carrying out any work.
Building Regulations for replacement windows and doors
WGS Glazing are proud to be a FENSA Approved Installer, to give you complete peace of mind that the work we carry out complies with building regulations.
Since 2002 Building regulations have applied to all replacement glazing. The regulations apply to thermal performance and other areas such as safety, air supply, means of escape and ventilation. FENSA is a government- authorised scheme that monitors building regulations compliance for replacement windows and doors. Every FENSA Approved Installer is assessed regularly to ensure its standards are continually maintained.
Once your works have been completed, WGS Glazing will issue you with a FENSA certificate. This is required to:
- Confirm compliance with building regulations
- Shows your installation is energy efficient
- Ensures it is registered with the Local council
- Verifies your installers guarantee is insured
- Essential when selling the property
What is the Guarantee?
WGS glazing offer a comprehensive guarantee. 10 years on solid parts such as door slabs and frames, and 5 years on glass and moving parts (hinges/handles etc). As we are FENSA registered, this guarantee is insured should the company cease trading.
When will I get my FENSA certificate?
You will receive your FENSA certificate in the post direct from FENSA once the works have been completed. This can take between 1 to 3 months. It is important to keep this certificate as it will be required if you move house and FENSA charge for replacement certificates.
What are the next steps?
Like what you see? No pressure sales, great customer service, our best quote first time. These are some of the reasons people choose WGS Glazing.
- Call us or fill in the online form to book in a survey. Our surveyor and co-director Edd Wheldon will come to see you, discuss your requirements and measure up so we can give you a quote. Remote surveying can be requested and involves you sending us measurements so we can give you a quote and if you choose to go ahead, we will then come out and measure up to ensure your new products fit perfectly.
- After an initial survey your quote will be sent out via email or post. We will follow this up with a quick courtesy call to check if you received it. If you choose to go ahead, let us know and we will send out a contract for you to sign. This is all electronic, is quick and easy and minimises postal delays. If required, a second survey may be arranged at this point.
- We ask for a deposit of 20% for windows and doors upon ordering, and the final balance to be paid upon completion of installation.
- Once the deposit has been paid, we will send through your order to our supplier and once we have a confirmed delivery date from them, we will call you to confirm a installation date.
- Once the installation is complete, you should receive your FENSA certificate through the post in the next 1-3 months with your insurance backed guarantee.